Sunday, May 18, 2014

Old Love

It's the eve of my 7th wedding anniversary, and as I did some yard work today, I thought about relationships. Brian and I dated a little over 3 years before we got married. It was a nice wedding, I remember the church being hot and not air conditioned. The details I had worked hard on, forgotten that day as I celebrated with everyone and my new hubby.

There is one moment of the day that I still often think of. My cousin had taken me to get my hair done, and on the way to the church for pictures, she told me a story my grandpa had told her. Grandpa died in 1997, ten years prior to my getting married. On the day of my wedding, the sky was a bright blue, with the big puffy white clouds. She told me Grandpa used to say 'I love days like this. They look just like the day I got married.' And in that one sentence, I felt I had him there with me.

My family is in no way touchy-feely or very vocal on feelings. That being said, they have still been a source of the way love and a marriage should be. My parents have been married just shy of 35 years, my grandparents almost 62 years, and if Grandpa was still alive, my other set of grandparents would have them beat. They didn't fight much in front of us kids, but worked out their problems.

There are many things I love about Brian. He's got a sense of humor similar to my own, he knows how to work, and can still have a good time. He takes time to do things with our boys, and as they grow up, I know there is more he wants to do with them.

We are both very stubborn people. Ask anyone who knows us. One good thing about that: we have both agreed to never give up on what we have with each other. We often tease each other, 'you said yes' or 'you're stuck with me now'.

In the seven years we're been married, we have had 2 boys, changed jobs, bought land, home renovations, bought a different house, and he joined the fire department. I'm not sure what in that list has had the largest impact. As I think about all we have done, and what we talk about doing, I look forward to seeing where we are in the next 7 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment