Thursday, May 22, 2014

Off on a Tangent~ Working Outside

The weather has finally changed gears and it feels like spring should. After such a long, cold winter, I can't help but spend as much time outside as possible. And there is no shortage of work to be done.

We purchased a foreclosed home this past fall. Brian did a complete over hall on most the house, and I painted and packed. We knew there was going to be a lot of work needed outside, but had to wait until this spring to tackle it.

The area formally know as the flowerbed is so overgrown with weeds and trees. I was digging out some of the flowers I knew I would want to keep and found the edging stones we didn't know were there. I have dug 4 brown bags of iris, 7 bags of peonies, 2 bags and 2 buckets of some kind of lily, 2 bags and a bucket of sedum, and two buckets of hostas. Brian has been asking when I will get them all out of the garden shed, and I'm really hoping by the end the weekend I will have my garden all done.

The mess of weeds in the flowerbed was not the only eyesore we wanted to work on. I dug out what I wanted in front of the house, and another goal is to do new landscaping around the whole house. I pulled out the blocks around the front too. I think there are over 30 blocks from the flowerbed and another 50 some retaining blocks and 8 cinder blocks that I removed last weekend.

Then there is the tree line where brush was piled for who knows how long. Brian has been trimming some of the trees and we have hauled out over a dozen truck and trailer loads of brush to our land where we can burn it. There is still more, but we have to return the trailer my dad was nice enough to let us borrow. I can't wait to light up the pile.

We had someone come in and cut down some trees, and now there are stumps to grind. And a vegetable garden to build and plant...I can't wait for the long weekend to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment