Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Crash Victim 101

Last night, Brian came home and asked if the boys and I had plans for tonight. I let him know we just had hair cuts scheduled. I was not expecting the next question.

"So do you want to be victims for car extrication training?"

Of course! The boys were a little nervous, but when I explained that they wouldn't be cutting apart my car, it was better.

We met at the fire hall and rode to the training center with the other 'victims'. Our fire department has an area with some of those big metal containers you see on trains and semis that they use for burn trainings. They also use that area for other trainings.

An area junk yard brought in two vehicles, an old Ford Tempo and a Windstar mini van. We were given our list of injuries. My boys were put in the back seat of the car. The older one was to be alert, responsive, and complaining of neck injuries. The younger one was shaken, and kept saying he spilled something and he was wet. My passenger was not responsive and had a weak pulse. I was also unresponsive. The lady in the minivan was belligerent but responsive.

That was our set-up. The fire fighters were in their turn-out gear and began pulling out their tools to take car of getting us out. The first thing they needed to do was stabilize the vehicles- blocking the tires so they wouldn't move, disconnecting the battery, etc. Then it was time to check on the people inside the vehicles. The boys had the lead amount of injuries, and were taken out right away. I had to be taken out to get to the passenger, who was worse off than me.

It was interesting to watch the rest of the training unfold. They had to pop open the door on the minivan and remove the windshield. A blanket was put over the driver to keep from getting anything on her. A neck collar was put on, and they had to cut apart the dash and roof to get her out. She was put on a backboard and taken out of there.

The passenger also had to be cut out. The roof was pulled back, it really looked like the old sardine cans that rolled back when you opened them. They secured it back with some straps. The doors and the same safety measures for him were taken.

When it was all done, the fire department got to play with their tools. Windows were removed, the remaining doors, trunk, hood- everything was detached by some saw, spreader or other weapon of destruction.

Overall, it was an interesting training to be part of. I have never been involved or at an accident where they had to remove anyone, and in this situation, I knew there were no actual lives in danger. I am glad I was given the opportunity and saw first hand the teamwork and coordination needed at an accident scene. I give these people a lot of credit. It certainly isn't something for everyone, but the work of a fire fighter speaks to the right people.

No comments:

Post a Comment